Do you suffer from back pain? You’re not alone. It is estimated that 80% of adults experience back pain at some point in their lives and around 8% have severe lower back pain. This pain can get worse over time and it can negatively affect quality of life.
Acute back pain comes on quickly and generally lasts up to 6 weeks. Chronic back pain develops over time and lasts for more than 3 months.
So what causes back pain? Let’s take a look at some common causes:
- Muscle strain or ligament strain due to heavy lifting or sudden movement
- Bulging or ruptured disk in which soft material from inside the disk presses on a nerve
- Osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis, and osteoporosis
- Poor sitting posture such as being hunched over at a desk for significant periods of time
- Certain medical conditions cauda equina syndrome and pelvic inflammatory disease
Risk factors for back pain include increased age, lack of exercise, improper lifting, excess body weight, smoking and more.
The good news is there are effective ways to say goodbye to back pain and hello to a better quality of life. Regenerative medicine gives hope to back pain sufferers. If you experience back pain and would like to explore regenerative medicine options, please let us know!