Richard Kim Medicine logo

Webinars Now Available!

To gain access to webinars produced by Dr. Richard Kim, please sign up at the Webinar Sign Up page.

Next webinar:

Stem Cell Seminar
Wednesday, May 22nd
5:00 pm EST








Have you heard the term platelet-rich plasma or PRP, but aren’t sure what it actually is? Let’s fix that! Today we explore what PRP is and how it can be used.

Let’s start with plasma. Plasma is the liquid portion of blood. It makes up approximately 55% of blood (the other 45% is red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets).

Now let’s talk platelets. Platelets are known for clotting however they also contain hundreds of proteins known as growth factors which are critical to injury healing.

Platelet-rich plasma is created by drawing blood from the patient, separating the platelets, and increasing the concentration of platelets through centrifugation. Then it is injected into the area of injury. The growth factors then stimulate and increase the amount of reparative cells your body produces.

PRP can be an effective treatment for rotator cuff tears, Achilles tendon ruptures, tendonitis, tennis elbow, golfer’s elbow, jumper’s knee, post-surgical healing, hair loss, skin rejuvenation and more. Platelet-rich plasma is safe with very limited side effects. It is also advantageous because it can reduce the need for anti-inflammatories and opioids. PRP is an excellent treatment option which Richard Kim Medicine proudly specializes in. If you have any questions about PRP, let us know!

Share This